Windows Server 2008 delivers enhanced fault tolerance, performance, security, manageability, functionality, capacity, and economy by incorporating a variety of new and improved features. New virtualization technology saves money, simplifies administration, adds flexibility, and reduces recovery time in case of natural or-human-made disaster. Improved clustering and load balancing capability increases fault tolerance and manageability. An updated web hosting and development platform strengthens the security and dependability of web applications and makes it easier to maintain web environments. Windows Server 2008 has been hardened to withstand external and internal attacks and new tools help enforce security policies. Better support for branch offices and offsite clients makes it simpler and safer to run remote applications and easier to manage and troubleshoot offsite environments.
SixthStar can help you evaluate the benefits of Windows Server 2008 for your business, develop pilot programs and migration plans, integrate Windows Server 2008 with your network infrastructure and applications, train your IT staff how to use new management tools to administer and support your clients, and provide ongoing consulting and troubleshooting support via budget-friendly options.
Windows Server 2008 introduces a broad array of new and enhanced features that address vital areas of information technology and position Windows Server 2008 as a pivotal component of any business network solution. Here are some of the headline features introduced by Windows Server 2008:
The Microsoft Windows Server 2008 product line comprises four versions:
- Ability to cluster virtual machine hosts and to backup virtual machines without service interruption improves system availability
- New virtual switch feature supports Windows Network Load Balancing (NLB) to enhance performance
- Symmetric Multiprocessors (SMP) Support allows as many as four multi processors for a total of 16 processors in a virtual machine (VM) environment to get the maximum benefit of multi-threaded applications such as SQL Server
- Ability to capture snapshots of a virtual machine makes it possible to restore a previous state
- Multiple operating systems including Windows and Linux can be run from a single physical server
- New storage capabilities including pass-thru hard disk access and dynamic storage expansion makes data more accessible to virtual machines, programs, and services